Intel 13th Gen vs. 14th Gen CPU: The Comparison
Now that Intel’s 14th Gen CPUs have been released, we can finally provide a comprehensive data comparison against their established 13th Gen counterparts. While our insights are based on preliminary testing, we can confirm that Intel’s 14th Gen CPUs offer a noticeable performance boost over their predecessors, with the most significant improvement found in the i7-14700k lineup. This information is more up-to-date than last week’s article, “Intel 13th Gen vs. 14th Gen CPU – Assessing the Worth of the Upcoming Generation.” Intel’s 14th Gen CPUs are expected to deliver a performance increase of approximately 5 to 18 percent when compared to their 13th Gen predecessors, depending on the specific processor.
The 13th Gen (13900K) vs. The 14th Gen (i9-14900K, i7-14700K, i5-14600K)
Here’s an up-to-date side-by-side analysis of the two generations based on the most recent details:
|Feature/Specification||13th Gen (i9-13900K)||14th Gen (i9-14900K)||14th Gen (i7-14700K)||14th Gen (i5-14600K)|
|Total Cores/Threads||24 cores/32 threads (8 P-Cores, 16 E-Cores)||24 cores/32 threads (8 P-Cores, 16 E-Cores)||20 cores/28 threads( 8 P-Cores, 12 E-Cores)||14 cores/20 threads (6 P-Cores, 8 E-Cores)|
|Base Clock Speed||3.00 GHz/2.20 GHz||3.2 GHz||3.4 GHz||3.5 GHz|
|Max Turbo Frequency||5.4 GHz/4.30 GHz||6 GHz (Turbo)||5.8 GHz||5.6 GHz|
|DDR Support||DDR5 up to 5600, DDR4 up to 3200||DDR5-5600/ DDR4 3200||DDR5-5600/ DDR4 3200||DDR5-5600/ DDR4 3200|
|Cache (Smart Cache/L2 Cache)||36 MB/32 MB||36 MB (Smart Cache)||33 MB (Smart Cache)||24 MB (Smart Cache)|
|Power Efficiency (Base/Max Turbo Power)||125W/253W||125W TDP||125W TDP||125W TDP|
|Process Node||10nm (Intel 7)||10nm (Intel 7)||10nm (Intel 7)||10nm (Intel 7)|
|Socket Compatibility||LGA 1700||LGA 1700||LGA 1700||LGA 1700|
|Graphics||Intel® UHD Graphics 770||Intel® UHD Graphics 770||Intel® UHD Graphics 770||Intel® UHD Graphics 770|
Intel 14th Gen Core i9-14900K: Don’t Expect a Big Performance Leap
Confirmed details indicate that the 14th Gen Core i9-14900K will feature 8 P-cores and 16 E-cores, resulting in a configuration of 24 cores and 32 threads, which is identical to the 13th Gen i9-13900K. As a result, any performance improvement is expected to be marginal. The flagship Core i9-14900K will maintain the 8 P-cores and 16 E-cores, giving it a total of 24 cores and 32 threads. It will operate with a base clock of 3.2 GHz and a boost clock of up to 6.0 GHz, which is projected to yield only a modest 3 to 5% performance improvement over its 13th Gen counterpart.
Intel Core i7-14700K: A 20-Core Monster
It has been confirmed that the Core i7-14700K will feature an impressive 20 cores and 28 threads, surpassing its predecessor, the Core i7-13700K. The Core i7-14700K will consist of 8 P-cores and 12 E-cores, with a base clock of 3.4 GHz and a boost clock of up to 5.6 GHz. The inclusion of 4 additional E-cores is expected to yield up to an 18% performance improvement in multi-threaded applications.
Intel Core i5-14600K: A New Overclocking Champion?
The Core i5-14600K will feature 14 cores (6 P-Cores and 8 E-Cores) and 20 threads, matching its predecessor, the Core i5-13600K. The key difference lies in its clock speed, with the P-Core boost reaching 5.3GHz, an improvement from the Core i5-13600K’s 5.1GHz. This new model aligns with the spirit of overclocking, as demonstrated by its potential to reach a remarkable 5.7GHz during tests on the Core i5-13600K. The Core i5-14600K has a base clock of 3.5 GHz and a boost clock of up to 5.3 GHz, resulting in a 3 to 5% performance improvement.
- Intel Core 14th Gen processors, some performance and compatibility with existing configurations.
- The 14th Gen desktop processor family includes the Core i9 14900K, offering improved single and multi-threaded performance, overclocking capabilities, and compatibility with existing setups.
- These processors come with Wi-Fi 7 for faster wireless connections, Thunderbolt 5 for increased bandwidth and charging capabilities, and Intel Application Performance Optimization (APO) for improved game performance.
- Intel has introduced improved overclocking features, including increased frequencies, DDR5 XMP support, per-core thermal throttling, and an AI-assisted overclocking tool, resulting in a two-bin frequency performance boost.
- Machine learning is employed to suggest optimal system tuning options for temperature and cooling, resulting in a two-bin frequency performance improvement.
- The Intel Core 14th Gen Desktop Processor Family offers AI-assisted overclocking, improved CPU performance, power management, connectivity features, and overclocking capabilities for a better gaming experience.
- The Intel Core i9 14900K delivers smooth gameplay with high frame consistency, making it ideal for sharing gameplay with friends and viewers.
- Intel’s 14th Gen Desktop Processor Family excels in gaming performance, surpassing competitors, and offers some modest improvements in multitasking and creator workflows.
Original date is Thursday, October 17, 2023, as the anticipated release date for Intel’s 14th Gen CPUs.
Based on the freshest data, the 14th Gen CPUs appear poised to introduce some improvements over the 13th Gen counterparts, particularly the i7-14700K with addition of 4 E-Cores. For those seeking tech insights or general inquiries in Santa Barbara, feel free to reach out to us at (805) 324-3654 or explore www.sbpcmechanic.com. We’re committed to assisting you on your tech journey every step of the way!
Visit our articles to discover our comparative price-to-performance recommendations for the Intel Core i9, Intel Core i7, and AMD Ryzen 9 processors.